Steve was the dean at Huxley from 2012 to 2021. Prior to that he was a faculty member at the University of Idaho, where he served as associate dean of the College of Natural Resources, Chair of the Department of Conservation Social Sciences, founding director of the university’s award-winning Building Sustainable Communities Initiative, and founding director of the McCall Outdoor Science School (MOSS). He was also director of the U of I's Park Studies Unit, which is a branch of the National Park Service Social Science Program. Formerly he was co-editor of the international academic journal Society and Natural Resources. Prior to the University of Idaho, he was a professor and program coordinator in the Division of Forestry at Western Virginia University. He is the founder and first executive director of the West Virginia Land Trust.
Newest publication: The Trouble with Tourism
2017 WWU Energy Symposium Presentation, the Race for Renewable Aviation Fuels:
- Powerpoint presentation
- Video: Slashing Carbon Emissions with Biojet Fuel (13 minutes)
- Video: Forest Residuals: Availability and Collection (9 minutes)
- Video: How to Turn Wood into Biojet Fuel (3 minutes)
- Video: Co-Products from the Biojet Supply Chain (6 minutes)
- Video: Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction from Biojet Fuel (8 minutes)
His scholarship and outreach work is in the areas of land use policy and management; land trusts and conservation easements; and environmental leadership.