GIS Certificate APPLICATION (& Declaration)
(required for Priority enrollment in the advanced GIS courses, e.g., ENVS-420 and above)
The GIS Certificate (see list of courses) is by Application Only.
Priority enrollment for ENVS-420 (GIS III: Analysis and Modeling) and beyond (ENVS-421, ENVS-422, etc.), is given to students who have been accepted into the GIS Certificate program. Once GIS Certificate students have enrolled any additional seats will be open to general registration.
Admission to the GIS Certificate program is competitive and space is usually limited.
To apply, submit the following:
- Letter of Intent:
- Your name, W#, major(s), minor(s), year (e.g., Jr.), current GPA, and planned date of graduation
- A statement addressing the following:
- Why you are interested in completing the GIS Certificate
- How your prior education and work experience has prepared you for the GIS Certificate
- Your career goals
- Portfolio of your GIS analysis and cartographic work, including at least two maps with captions describing what the maps are and what went into making them
- Resume outlining your education and professional history
- Transcripts: Unofficial WWU transcripts plus Official Transcripts from other institutions if you previously completed relevant coursework at another institution
- Students accepted into the GIS Certificate program must also file a Declaration Form with the Registrar's Office. Stop by Dr. Flower's office (AH-202) to pick up a Declaration Form.
- Once accepted into the GIS Certificate program, a grade of B- or better is required for all certificate courses.
Certificate Applications (required for Fall 2018 ENVS-420) will be due MAY 4th, 2018.
- Submissions should be turned in both digitally (emailed to Aquila Flower and Stefan Freelan) and in hard copy (turned in to the ENVS Department Office in AH-217)
- GIS Certificate students may also receive the GIS Minor (but must declare as such).
- For questions, contact Aquila Flower.
The GIS Minor (see list of courses) does not require an Application.
- To declare a GIS minor visit Huxley College's Advising office in ES-539
- For questions, contact Aquila Flower