Post-Bac GIS Certificate
Huxley Spatial Institute:
Geographic Information Science
9 months, 24 credits. Can be completed online.
Interested candidates should contact Dr. Aquila Flower ASAP for Fall, 2020 Registration
- Post-Bac GIS Certificate APPLICATION
- Registration Form for non-matriculated students
- GIScience Degrees at WWU
- GIS Minor
- Undergraduate GIS Certificate
- GIS & Remote Sensing course offerings at WWU
The Huxley Spatial Institute offers a GIS Minor, an Undergraduate GIS Certificate and a 9-month, Post-Bac GIS Certificate. The GIS Minor is a subset of the GIS Certificate. Admission to these programs is by APPLICATION only. Some upper division GIS courses are restricted to GIS Certificate students. Contact Dr. Aquila Flower for more information.
The Post-Bac Geographic Information Science Certificate provides students with in-depth training in Geographic Information Science theory and techniques. Students will gain advanced skills in the development, management, analysis, and visualization of spatial data, with an emphasis on environmental applications. Coursework includes spatial analysis, geospatial data management, python programming, and cartography, with opportunities to design and complete original research projects and develop a professional portfolio. The certificate prepares students for careers as geospatial analysts and GIS technicians, and is a valuable complement to many professional fields.
9-Month, Post-Bac GIS Certificate Curriculum
- ENVS 320 or an equivalent introductory GIS class (can be completed online during summer 2020)
- Computer Cartography (ENVS 321, 4 credits)
- Analysis and Modeling (ENVS 520, 4 credits)
- Analysis of Spatial Data (ENVS 322, 4 credits)
- Advanced GIS Applications (ENVS 521, 4 credits)
- Advanced Spatial Analysis (ENVS 522, 4 credits)
- GIS Processing and Analysis (ENVS 423, 3 credits)
Fall, Winter or Spring:
- Topics in GIS (ENVS 499Q, 1 credit)
Interested candidates should contact Dr. Aquila Flower asap to be considered for Fall, 2020 registration.
Admission to the Post-Bac GIS Certificate program is competitive and space may be limited.
Applicants should complete ENVS-320 (or the equivalent) prior to applying.
To apply for the Post-Bach GIS Certificate see: APPLICATION.
- All courses are offered pending adequate enrollment
- Remote delivery of all classes planned for the 2020-2021 academic year
- In-state tuition for matriculated students; $272 per credit for non-matriculated students
- 24 quarter credits
- Cohorts start in fall
- Can be completed in 3 quarters
- Open to working professionals
- May be completed as a standalone post-baccalaureate certificate, or in combination with an M.A. or M.S. for matriculated graduate students
- No GRE required