Overview of Legacy Review Process & the Huxley College Name
Start Time & Date
(Archived video of this presentation).
An important part of Western’s commitment to advancing equity and inclusion is considering how the names of its buildings and colleges reflect those values. The Legacy Review Task Force(opens in new tab)open_in_new has been charged with reviewing the names associated with Western’s buildings and colleges, including Huxley College, and with making recommendations as to whether any names warrant consideration for removal.
In the course of its work the Task Force has been assisted by reports about the historic naming of buildings and colleges prepared by Western Libraries Heritage Resources, the invited opinion of scholars with expertise regarding particular namesakes (specifically, T.H. Huxley), and additional research and resources(opens in new tab)open_in_new, all available on the Legacy Review Task Force website(opens in new tab)open_in_new. The Task Force is expected to submit a report to the President by May 31, 2021, and is not charged with considering or recommending new names for colleges or buildings. The final decision regarding building names rests with the WWU Board of Trustees.
The purpose of this session is to provide an overview of the Legacy Review process and the Task Force charge(opens in new tab)open_in_new, as well as the materials being taken into consideration. Community members will then be invited to submit questions about the process via chat.
This forum will be facilitated by members of the WWU Legacy Review Task Force (2020-21), some of whom will be available for the presentation.
WWU Legacy Review Task Force Members:
- Laural Ballew, Executive Director, American Indian/Alaska Native and First Nations Relations & Tribal Liaison
- Lisa Beard, Professor of Political Science
- Josh Cerretti, Professor of History
- Paul Dunn, Chief of Staff to the President
- LeaAnn Martin, Past Dean, College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Kaylan Rocamora, Student Representative
- Phil Sharpe, Past WWU Trustee
- Collette Taylor, Alumni Representative ('87)
- Laura Wagner, Student Representative
Location & Time
Presentations are held each Thursday at 4:30pm ONLINE.